The South African Insurance Association’s (SAIA) members held the 2014 Annual General Meeting of the association on 25 June. At this meeting members committed to a revised Code of Conduct.
Members elected to the Board at the AGM are:
- Wayne Abraham (AIG South Africa Ltd.)
- Tom Creamer (Telesure Short-term Insurance)
- Daryl De Vos (Africa Re (SA) Ltd.)
- Garikai Dhombo (Alexander Forbes Insurance Company Ltd.)
- Ian Kirk (Santam Ltd)
- Nic Kohler (Hollard Insurance Company Ltd.)
- Edwyn O’Neill (Zurich Insurance Company SA Ltd.)
- Anton Ossip (Discovery Insure Ltd.)
- René Otto (MiWay Insurance Ltd.)
- Terrance Ray (SCOR Africa Ltd.)
- Willem Roos (OUTsurance Insurance Company Ltd.)
- Adam Samie (Lion of Africa Insurance Company Ltd.)
- Herman Schoeman (Guardrisk Insurance Company Ltd.)
- Denise Shaw (Standard Insurance Ltd.)
- John Sibanda (Lloyd’s South Africa (Pty) Ltd.)
- Raimund Snyders (Mutual & Federal Insurance Company Ltd.)
After the meeting Themba Gamedze, who will continue as Chairman of the SAIA Board, highlighted that, “Engaging with our policy makers, legislators, regulators, business partners and the broader society is imperative to the short-term insurance industry as it plays a foundational role in the success of the economy.”
Gamedze also addressed the challenges the industry is currently faced with. He pointed out that, “The industry faces a host of challenges with regulatory reforms, the skills gap, emerging market access to financial services and extreme weather systems.”
Barry Scott, SAIA Chief Executive, echoed the SAIA Chairman’s sentiments and highlighted the importance of working together to address tomorrow’s economic challenges, “The industry needs to harness its own talent to enable them to meet the challenges heading its way.”
Members attending the 2014 AGM also signed a Code of Conduct to reaffirm their commitment to strengthen and promote a vibrant short-term insurance industry, characterised by financial soundness, efficiency and value proposition which is both fair to its customers and our future customers.
The Chairman’s address can be found on the SAIA website.