By: S&P Dow Jones Indices
S&P Dow Jones Indices (S&P DJI) has released the SPIVA® South Africa Scorecard Mid-Year 2019 results. This semiannual report tracks the performance of South African domiciled actively managed funds against their relevant S&P DJI benchmarks over a one-year period ending June 30, 2019.
The SPIVA® South Africa Scorecard Mid-Year 2019 highlights include:
- Over 62% of actively managed South African equity funds and 89% of global equity funds failed to beat the S&P South Africa DSW Capped Index and S&P Global 1200 Index respectively;
- During the three- and five- year period, the percentage of actively managed South African equity funds underperforming the S&P South Africa DSW Capped Index was 53% and 74% respectively;
- For the actively managed global equity funds, over the three- and five- year periods the number of actively managed global equity funds underperforming the S&P Global 1200 increased to 90% and 97% respectively.
- 82% of actively managed Diversified/Aggregate Bond funds underperformed the S&P South Africa Sovereign Bond 1+ Year Index. Over three- and five- years, this number is 74% and 70% respectively;
- Conversely, 94% of actively Short-Term Bond funds beat the STeFI Composite Index over the one-year period.
Download and view the Semiannual report HERE